Those who enjoy the benefits of medical and recreational marijuana today have a far different experience than patients did a few hundred or even a few thousand years ago. The history of medical marijuana spans many centuries so it’s impossible to explore in extreme detail, but we can touch on some of the most important milestones throughout this journey.
Before diving into the progressive timelines, allow us to touch on some terminology that’s relevant to the history of medicinal cannabis:
● Cannabis — The Latin name for a group of medicinal herbs utilized in traditional medicine.
● Marijuana — A Spanish word that was popularized in the early 1900s, marijuana is used as a slang term for cannabis.
● Cannabinoid — One of the chemical constituents of cannabis which accounts for its medicinal properties.
● Hemp — Usually associated with the non-drug fibers of cannabis which can be used to create rope and paper, hemp was also an old-world term for Cannabis.
● CBD — Shorthand for Cannabidiol, a popular cannabinoid which is minimally psychoactive but highly anti-inflammatory.
With this terminology in mind, we can begin to explore the winding history of medical marijuana.